One of the most routine concerns that we encounter at Roy Inch & Sons Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in London is dirty air filters. They can seem like a very small piece of the whole home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot greater than most homeowners recognize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a number of concerns for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you may encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the greatest issue you’ll notice when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this hinders air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a probability if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something gives out or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off excessively. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, potentially causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shortened equipment lifecycle
- Reduced energy efficiency
- Decreased air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any potential damage that may come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters we have, give Roy Inch & Sons Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 226-270-1164 or schedule an appointment online.