Every year over 20,000 people go to the emergency room because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is given off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your home safe, Roy Inch & Sons Home Services by Enercare is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and swap out the batteries every year.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like porcelain tile. Keep kids and pets away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, buy a model that powers off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Don’t use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally examined and cleaned annually.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Roy Inch & Sons will check to be sure your furnace is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 226-270-1164 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.