Every year over 20,000 people go to the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is given off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your home safe, Roy Inch & Sons Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and swap out the batteries annually.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Turn off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and pets away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, purchase a model that powers off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Don’t use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally inspected and cleaned annually.
The ultimate thing you can do for your furnace is to ensure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Roy Inch & Sons Service Experts will check to make sure your furnace is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 226-270-1164 today and find out how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.