Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your house, being comfy in your new area no matter the weather is key. However, they can present a unique challenge for contentment. This is due to the fact extending ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the increased load, as it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most reasonably priced options is to add a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Discover more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition might be a fantastic fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, because they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient because they shift heat to make your addition more comfortable. In reality, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for additional rebates and reduce your utility expenses for a long time.
Another special feature is zoned heating and cooling. Because each room usually has a dedicated indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is extremely helpful if you have a area with specific temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that lack ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than installing ductwork and using your current heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the precise cost will depend on your residence, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system could become overwhelmed. When your present heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your home in advance of the addition. This may overwork your system and make it wear down faster.
- Your comfort may suffer. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort could suffer if your system is required to take care of a bigger space. Your heating and cooling may be less efficient, and your utility bills may skyrocket due to the system needing to switch on more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Roy Inch & Sons Service Experts, we’ll help you select the right size for your new area. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create big energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or more when correctly serviced. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Roy Inch & Sons Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you select the right model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Roy Inch & Sons Service Experts can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 226-270-1164 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.