Gases

Get Knowledgable about Indoor Gases

GasesCarbon Monoxide (CO) — Carbon monoxide is a dangerous, life-threatening gas that may be fatal, and is known to develop flu-like symptoms over time. You can read more about it on our Carbon Monoxide page.

Natural Gas — Natural gas is usually safe, but it can potentially create a threat if a pilot light is out in a stove, a gas fireplace, or a furnace, or if there is a leak. Thankfully, natural gas can be detected due to its strong odor, making it easier to detect. The gas itself is not poisonous. The problem is that it is heavier than oxygen, and displaces the oxygen we breathe, leading to asphyxiation. It can also gather in the basement, and—under the right circumstances—explode. No. Not good. We encourage you to purchase a natural gas detector. They’re not expensive and a cinch to operate. If you smell gas, don’t turn lights or appliances on or off, as even a small electrical current could cause an explosion. Leave the area immediately and call your London natural gas utility.

Radon — Radon is a colorless and odorless gas that is strictly detected by testing. This radioactive gas comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water. It’s found in most parts of North America, though some locations have much higher concentrations. Unmitigated radon may cause cancer, and is to blame for 21,000 lung cancer deaths annually. A simple do-it-yourself air test can determine where your radon level is at. If levels exceed the recommendations, a radon reduction contractor can help.

Other Gases and Vapors — Other gases and vapors are released from vehicles in the garage, from tobacco use, from cleaning products, and the more than 300 chemicals used in household furnishings, construction materials, carpeting, flooring, and paints. All of these may produce odors and gasses that can irritate our respiratory systems, and could aggravate asthma and allergies.

Tips — Here are some tips to help control exposure to gasses, fumes and odors:

  • Be sure your home includes proper ventilation. Call us for a free ventilation system analysis.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector, a natural gas detector, and have someone test the radon levels in your home.
  • Keep interior doors closed that are near the garage, and leave the garage door open at least 5 minutes after a car enters or leaves.
  • If you have a wood-burning stove or fireplace, extinguish all burning embers before shutting the flue.
  • Let the door remain open to any room that does not have a return vent.
  • Reduce the amount of tobacco smoke in the home.
  • Use non-toxic or organic cleaning products.

Call Roy Inch & Sons Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in London at 226-270-1164 for a Home Health Report to learn about how we can help protect you and have the highest indoor air quality possible. We offer quality equipment choices, knowledge and expert service—for all makes and models, 24 hours a day.

Roy Inch & Sons Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning
3500 White Oak Road, Unit B-1
London, Ontario N6E 2Z9

Phone: 226-270-1164
Email: royinch@serviceexperts.com